NCP is the Millennial Party with a modern and progressive orientation. Ideology of NCP is a holistic democracy anchored on Gandhian secularism, equity, social justice and federalism based National Unity.
The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) is a true inheritor of the rich and glorious political legacy handed to the Indian National Congress (INC) by early stalwarts like Dadabhai Naoroji, Gopal Krishna Gokhale, Bal Gangadhar Tilak and Annie Besant, and by other veterans of the freedom struggle - The Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi himself, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Aurobindo, Subhash Chandra Bose, Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan, Smt. Sarojini Naidu, Madam Bikhaji Kama and Aruna Asaf Ali. This legacy is one of ardent nationalism and of secular ethos, the fountain-head of which is the very history of our civilization. It is also reflects an individual's stand for freedom - social, economic and political.
The founding principles
• Strengthening the forces of nationalism with an emphasis on the egalitarian and secular ethos of the Indian Republic and combating fundamentalism and sectarianism.
• Maintaining the unity and integrity of India by strengthening federalism and decentralization of power up to the village level.
• Promoting economic growth through competition, self-reliance, individual initiative and enterprises with emphasis on equality and social justice.
• Rule of law and constitutional order based on Parliamentary and participatory democracy.
• Empowerment of weaker sections, the schedule castes and tribes, OBCs, the disabled and the women.
• Strengthening the forces of peace within the country attempting to secure universal non-discriminatory disarmament.
• Institutionalized and democratic functioning of the party.